New Clara Maass Hospital to provide area with 324-bed facilities
$5,000,000 Structure Called 'Hospital in the
(Aug. 9, 1956) -- The new Clara Maass Memorial Hospital will be a lasting monument to Clara Maass, New Jersey's heroic trained nurse who gave her life in the service of mankind.
A graduate of the Newark German Hospital, she served the U.S. Army as a contract nurse during the Spanish-American War.
In 1901, while in the employ of the sanitation department of Havana, she volunteered for the famous yellow fever experiments. Clara Maass paid with her life, but she died as she had lived - for others.
In 1952, in honor of her bravery and devotion, the name of the original Newark German Hospital once known as the Newark Memorial Hospital and Lutheran Memorial Hospital, was rededicated as the Clara Maass Memorial Hospital.
The Hospital in the Park
Known as "The Hospital in the Park", the new Clara Maass is located on a knoll in the center of q 17-acre site on the Newark-Belleville-Bloomfield boundaries on the westerly side of Franklin Avenue, opposite Branch Brook Park.
It is now one-third complete. A seven-story building, costing an estimated $5 million, the new Clara Maass will be of fire-proof construction throughout. It is designed to proved the utmost in efficiency, service, and patient care. Its doors will be open to every race, creed, and color.
Approximately 250,000 men, women and children live within a few minutes of the new Clara Maass. Included in this total are some 50,000 employees of over a hundred large industrial plants.
Heretofore, it has been necessary for t his huge population to look to the crowded facilities of other communities 10 to 15 miles away for surgical, medical, emergency and clinical services.
The opening of the new Clara Maass will bring a total of 324 beds to an area where hospital facilities are critically short.
Residents of the Clara Maass community will have available all the newest facilities and services of modern medical science, including general surgery, medicine, obstetrics, pediatrics, radiology, cardiology, orthopedics, gynecology, urology, otolaryngology, neurology, psychiatry, plus a complete out-patient department.
One entire section of the new Clara Maass will be devoted to meeting the needs of the lower middle class income group for clinical service in all fields, including cardiac and cancer treatment.
Source: The Nutley Sun, August 9, 1956
This is an aerial view of Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville. The hospital started out in 1870 as the German Hospital at Bank & Wallace Streets in Newark. Due to anti-German sentiment, the name was changed in the early 1900's to Lutheran Hospital and then to Clara Maass Hospital (moving to Belleville in 1956). Clara Maass trained to be a nurse at the hospital's school of nursing and then became the head nurse. She died in Cuba in 1901 after allowing herself to be bitten by mosquitoes infected with yellow fever as part of an experiment. Initially buried in Havana, she was re-interred in Fairmount Cemetery in Newark on February 20, 1902.
Courtesy: OLD NEWARK, Facebook group
Clara Maass Medical Center
Clara Maass, the nurse behind the name of the hospital
Renovations begin at Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville (Oct. 9, 2014) North Jersey News/The Nutley Sun
Remembering our town
one bit at a time!
Belleville, New Jersey
The writings of Belleville native Anthony Buccino
Connections to Old Belleville
Buy a Book
Check out these Jersey boys.